wrangling screen and btdownloadcurses

Greetings all,

I have a custom GNU/Linux live CD that I am offering for download via
bittorrent.  I have been using a "screen" session to run
"btdownloadcurses" to seed the download on my Web server.  This works
just fine for a while and then stops working until I kill the
btdownloadcurses and restart it.

Can anyone tell me how to get this to work more reliably (without timing
out, or whatever it's doing)?

I have a working bash script to start the screen + btdownloadcurses that
I am considering scheduling every hour with cron.  But I would need
another script to gracefully kill the screen + btdownload first.

All of this has gotten rather Rube Goldberg-esque, so I thought it might
be time to ask for help. :)

--

Mitch Wiedemann
Webmaster - Ithaca Free Software Association