Re: cannot get into X - after testing dist-upgrade 11-03-05

mailmanmike@sbcglobal.net wrote:

> I'm pretty sure GPM is not installed, I remember trying to install
> that and could never get it working a long time ago.
> I just checked the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and the mouse is (as it
> should be) listed as /dev/input/mice. However I tried putting it as
> /dev/psaux to no avail.

What happens if you type "cat /dev/input/mice" and then move the mouse
around? You should get garbage on the screen. (Ctrl-C to break out of this.)

> I can't understand why the dist-upgrade today would have caused a
> mouse config problem.
>
> The windows partition is NTFS...I don't know how to command line a
> logfile to a floppy...basiaclly I am "command-line stupid" here.
> I am somehow fairly cetain that re-installing the nvidia driver might
> help,

Only if you have video driver problems _in addition to_ your "core input
device" problems. I'd suggest you address the problem that the logfile
refers to, before chasing a different problem.

Here's how to put the "XFree86.0.log" file on a floppy.

Boot into Linux.

Put formatted floppy in drive (FAT32 preferably).

Become root.

"mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt"

"cp /var/log/XFree86.0.log /mnt"

"umount /mnt"