Re: cannot get into X - after testing dist-upgrade 11-03-05

mailmanmike@sbcglobal.net wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kent West" <westk@acu.edu>

One of the reasons I run gpm is that it makes diagnosing mouse issues
easier.

Generally, gpm is not installed by default. Still, that's the first
question to be asked: Are you running gpm?

If you're not sure, look in "/etc/init.d" for a "gpm" script; you can
also look in "etc/gpm.conf" for the config file. You can also check
dpkg/apt/aptitude to see if gpm is installed, but I never remember how
to see if a program is installed using these tools and I'm too lazy to
look it up.

If gpm is installed and working, you should be able to move your mouse
around and see a squarish cursor moving around the console screen.
You'll also need to make sure that gpm and X are be configured to play
nicely together. (More on that later if needed.)

As implied above, though, gpm is probably not installed.

----

A copy of the relevant log data would be handy. If you have a shared FAT
partition, you can copy the file to that and read it from Windows.

Or you can use a USB Fob drive.

Or a floppy.

Or if the Linux side has networking, just mail it to yourself using mail
(or mutt, or whatever text-based client you have).

Of, if you have access to a Windows-based share, or NFS share, or ftp
site, you can transfer the file up, then get to it from Windows.

In other words, there are lots of possibilities. You just may not yet
have the knowledge to know you can do it (and we don't know what
resources you have to point you yet in any specific directions).

----

Generally, a mouse problem in X means that the X config file is
improperly configure for the mouse, or the appropriate driver for the
mouse has not been installed. What type of mouse do you have? (USB?
PS/2? Serial? trackpad? etc)

--
Kent