Re: mailserver absolute noob question

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 09:37:10PM +0100, Thomas wrote:
> Here my /etc/postfix/main.cf:
>
> smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Debian/GNU)
> biff = no
>
> # appending .domain is the MUA's job.
> append_dot_mydomain = no
>
> # Uncomment the next line to generate "delayed mail" warnings
> #delay_warning_time = 4h
>
> myhostname = ares.dyndns.biz
> mydomain = dyndns.biz
> alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
> alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
> myorigin = /etc/mailname
> mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain, ares.dyndns.biz
> #relayhost =
> mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
> mailbox_command = procmail -a "$EXTENSION"
> mailbox_size_limit = 0
> recipient_delimiter = +
> inet_interfaces = all
> net_interfaces = all
>
> I do login as local username@ares.dyndns.biz via imap.
> If i want to send mail to a username@gmx.net or similar i get the
> message from the email client:
> "An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:
> <username@gmx.net>: Relay access denied. Please verify that your email
> ddress is correct in your Mail preferences and try again.". Well, of
> course, the email address in my preferences is username@ares.dyndns.biz
> which should be correct.
>
> What is problem here? Does the mailserver @gmx refuse my mail because
> the domain is dyndns.biz, which is not to be trusted?
> Is there a problem with my config?
> I dont know.

i'm not positive, but it looks like you're running an open-relay.  look
at the postfix documentation for 'smtpd_recipient_restrictions'.  You'll
probably want a line like:

smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks

it's hard to tell what why your mail is being denied, have you checked
/var/log/mail.log?  I would say that would be a good place to start, it may
be because that host doesn't allow you to use mail w/out some sort of SASL
authentication or something.

> By the way i dint understand step 4 in the Howto:
>
> 4. Add a valid root alias to /etc/postfix/aliases
>
> There is no /etc/postfix/aliases on my sarge nor do i know what a valid
> root alias is.
> Well, i dont think this is the problem why i cant send out email, is it?

hmm, actually according to your config file, the alias should go in
/etc/aliases.  It's unsafe to let root receive mail, so generally you
send all mail addressed to root to a different account (perhaps your
local user account).  just add a line like:

some_user root

to /etc/aliases, and then run 'postmap /etc/aliases' on that file.

Good luck,
Cameron Matheson

P.S. You may have better luck on the postfix-users mailing list.