Re: Overriding (or getting rid of) Helvetica

* Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@familiasanchez.net> [2005 Nov 01 20:15 -0600]:

> If this is ony annyong you or causing problems when you browse the web,
> then you should probably make the change in your userContent.css (at
> least for Mozilla and Firefox).  I am sure that other browsers use the
> same mechanism or a similar one.

The solution I found was to create /etc/fonts/local.conf and put some
alias sections in it.  The helpful section looks like thus:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<!-- /etc/fonts/local.conf file to configure system font access -->
<fontconfig>

    <match target="pattern">
            <test qual="any" name="family">
                    <string>Helvetica</string>
            </test>
            <edit name="family" mode="assign">
                    <string>Arial</string>
            </edit>
    </match>

</fontconfig>

This has corrected the issue I had with Firefox and partially with
Konqueror although it has certain areas that still use a blocky font.
I don't use Konqy enough to matter, but I mention it for others.

I found this easier to implement than trying to sort out
userContent.css although I have mucked with it in the past.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"