Overriding (or getting rid of) Helvetica

I am at a loss.

My systems in X look great.  Anti-aliasing works, I have True Type
fonts installed and I am generally happy until some idiot Web page
author specifies Helvetica instead of the generic sans-serif for a
display font.  I've added the following to ~/.fonts.conf:

<-- Use Arial in preference to Helvetica -->
 <match target="pattern">
   <test qual="any" name="family">
     <string>Helvetica</string>
   </test>
   <edit name="family" mode="assign">
     <string>Arial</string>
   </edit>
 </match>

Which, I now find, was overwritten by some other process.  Grrrrrr....

How do I easily remap the UGLY Helvetica to the more pleasing Arial I
have already installed.  This affects both Firefox and Konqueror
equally so I assume the answer is somewhere in the font subsystem which
seems somewhat like a Hydra.

I am running KDE on both current Sid and Etch and I'm seeing the same
effect on each.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of