Re: direct rendering on i845G chipset

On Tuesday 18 October 2005 11:10, Lubos Vrbka wrote:
> hi!

[snip]
> >>(II) I810(0): 6392 kBytes additional video memory is required to
> >>         enable tiling mode for DRI.
> >>(II) I810(0): 4344 kBytes additional video memory is required to enable
> >>DRI. (II) I810(0): Disabling DRI.
> >
> > OK, here's where your problem is.  You need more video memory to enable
> > DRI. So use your bios configuration utility, and give the agp more
> > memory. Then, try again.  I think it should work after you do that.
>
> unfortunately i cannot do it in bios - the only choice there is 1mb/8mb.
> can i do it somewhere else? some kernel parameter?
>
> what to do now?

I think you have 2 options.  First, you could try to update the BIOS.  Newer
versions may support reserving more memory for video.

If that doesn't work, you could try using 855patch.  It's a program
available at http://www.chzsoft.com.ar/855patch.html.  Once you read the
instructions and download the program, you'll need to edit your xorg.conf
file:
by adding a line Load "dri" to the Section "Module"
by using the Driver "i810" in the Section "Device"
by setting VideoRam to the desired value in the Section "Device"

The first 2 lines, you already have.  You'll just have to edit your VideoRam
setting to something larger than its current value of 8192.

Then, run the 855patch program before starting X.  Then start X, and you
should be good to go.

To make the change permanent, you could call 855patch from an initscript,
but make sure it runs before X is started.