Re: 2.6.12 and 2.6.13 won't access cdrom -UPDATE

Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 11 Oct 2005, Basajaun wrote:
> > Anthony Campbell wrote:

[snip]

> > > I've just fetched the vanilla 2.6.13.3. It compiles correctly  and
> > > recognizes my CD drives. So it looks as if the problem has been
> > > recognized and fixed in the most recent versions.
> > >
> > > Anthony

[snip]

> > Where did you find the 2.6.13.3 package? I have Etch and Sid sources in
> > /etc/apt/sources.list, and 2.6.12 is the latest aptitude finds. Also,
> > search in the Debian site gives 2.6.12 as the official kernel for Etch
> > and Sid... could you post the sources.list line that does the trick,
> > please?
> >
> >      Basajaun
> >

> I got it from ftp.kernel.org, i.e. the vanilla kernel source.
> Subsequently I also got the relevant linux-image from
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/ and this seems to
> work as well.
>
> Anthony

Thanks a lot. I actually had already compiled a 2.6.13 kernel from
kernel.org, as I mention, and also dpkg-ed one from the experimental
release. Both work fine, but the non-detection problem is identical
with both of them and 2.6.12, because the source of the error is
somewhere else.

I backtracked the problem to the SATA disk my comp has. The 2.6 kernels
recognize it as SCSI at boot, so they load the ata_piix module, which
subsequently blocks loading of ide-core, ide-generic etc. Actually,
these modules are loaded at some point, but they complain that ide0 and
ide1 are already taken (ata_piix seems to have "hijacked" them).

I intend to upload my epic odyssey to my Linux "trick page", and I
might post a link, if I don't find it too lame :^) My solution, in
short, has been to insert these lines in /etc/mkinitrd/modules:

ide-core
cdrom
ide-cd
ide-disk
ide-generic

(the order is important, because of inter-dependencies that are not
held properly at the boot time where these options kick in, since
modprobe is not available to the kernel or whatever).

Then I made a new initrd image for my kernel, reading the file above:

mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-1-686-smp.custom 2.6.12-1-686-smp

and the final touch would be to insert the corresponding line in
/boot/grub/menu.lst.

HTH any other person with a similar problem. BTW, searching the web for
literal boot-time error messages like "I/O Resource 0x1F0-0x1F7 not
free" did it, so bless Google, and bless the thousands of users that,
no matter how obscure an error might be, have already suffered it and
posted about it in public forums (in this case, even as far back as in
late 2004).

     Basajaun