Re: Basic routing problem

Peter Coppens wrote:
From: Brett [mailto:bml@bookcellar.com.au] You can possibly use ARP to get B to listen for A's packets and route them accordingly.

For example I have the following setup:
LAN-1 <--> LAN-2 <--> router <--> internet

All hosts on LAN-1 can talk to all hosts on LAN-2 and all hosts can access the internet via the router. I have found this to be a very good setup. The link between LAN-1 and LAN-2 is very slow and all the packets get to where they are going without wasting bandwidth. It also doesn't have any of the disadvantages of NAT'ing.

> Thanks for the suggestion. Would you be able to share details on how
> you configured your systems?

I am willing to collect and explain what I did to get it working but it may take a little time (a couple of days) to make sure I get everything and to go over it so I can understand it again. And just now having a look at the routing table shows a couple of duplicate and/or conflicting routes (but they don't seem to be causing any problems).

However for starters you might like to read this howto which explains a few things which you might need to know:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Proxy-ARP-Subnet.html

One thing to remember is that I put my solution together from snippets from usenet, forums, howto's and webpages. So it may not be technically 100% correct but expert help was thin at the time.

Brett