Re: Aptitude, apt-get, security-updates

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 11:27:24AM +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (18/09/05 12:26), Simo Kauppi wrote:
> > Is there an easy way to search for packages which are installed and have
> > more than one version available to see which version is currently
> > installed?
> >
> > The reason for asking is that I just accidentally noticed that
> > php4-common, libapache2-mod-php4 and php4-mysql had a newer version in
> > security-updates but they had not been automatically upgraded. Manually
> > installing the newer versions of those had no problems.
> >
> > I would like to find out if I have more packages which would have a
> > newer version available but haven't been upgraded.
> >
> > I'm using Debian etch AMD64.
>
> dpkg -l | grep ii
>
> will show everything installed on your system

That it does.

> apt-cache search <package> [or part name]
>
> will show you available packages

Yes but without the version numbers

> See man dpkg and man apt-cache

That's what I did but couldn't find any options which would give me a
nice list like:
Package_name version_installed versions_available

> If you using aptitude, and you run update then upgrade, it will normally
> install the latest package version available

That's what I thought, hence the surprise when I noticed that those
packages were not upgraded :( I'm not sure if there is any difference
working in command line or in visual mode. I did the update - upgrade in
visual mode.

> Regards
>
> Clive
>

> --
> www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...
> ...strategies for business

I thought somebody might already have a shell script, which would get
the names of the installed packages and list the versions available for
them... (just so I wouldn't need to write it myself :)

Well actually I did write a little script to find out the latest
versions. The only problem now is wheter 'dpkg -l package-name' shows
the actual installed version? I'm a little suspicious because 'aptitude
show package-name' shows the highest available version instead of the
actual installed version.

Simo
--
:r ~/.signature