Re: Aptitude, apt-get, security-updates

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 02:43:09PM +0200, Maurits van Rees wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 12:26:31PM +0300, Simo Kauppi wrote:
> > I would like to find out if I have more packages which would have a
> > newer version available but haven't been upgraded.
>
> Run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.  [Or dist-upgrade instead of
> upgrade or aptitude instead of apt-get, but those are details.]
> To inspect an individual package, do: apt-cache policy <package name>.

I tried all the possible variations (aptitude/apt-get
upgrade/dist-upgrade) before I upgraded them manually in aptitude visual
mode. It's weird that even apt-get dist-upgrade didn't install those
packages.

> For example:
>
> $ apt-cache policy tmpreaper
> tmpreaper:
>   Installed: 1.6.5
>   Candidate: 1.6.5
>   Version Table:
>  *** 1.6.5 0
>         500 ftp://ftp.nl.debian.org sarge/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> The important lines are 'installed' and 'candidate'.  This one doesn't
> need to be upgraded.

Thanks a lot :) This is the command I was looking for.

There are so many different commands (apt-get, apt-cache, aptitude,
dpkg) and their possible options, that package management gets a little
confusing, when one needs to something special. Luckily apt-get update
- apt-get dist-upgrade works most of the time.

> --
> Maurits van Rees | http://maurits.vanrees.org/ [Dutch/Nederlands]
> Public GnuPG key:  http://maurits.vanrees.org/var/gpgkey.asc
> "It can seem like you're doing just fine,
> but the creep's creeping into your mind." - Neal Morse

Simo
--
:r ~/.signature