Re: Easy way to determine how much memory a program used?

Frank Gevaerts wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 07:20:01PM +0100, Adam Funk wrote:
>> Is there anything like "time command args" that will run "command args"
>> and then print out the maximum amount of memory it used?
>
> Normally, /usr/bin/time -v, but apparently since 2.4 kernels a lot of
> information is not available.

As you say, it doesn't work any more.  I tried that with various commands on
two machines (2.6.11 and 2.4.something) and consistently got this:

        Average shared text size (kbytes): 0
        Average unshared data size (kbytes): 0
        Average stack size (kbytes): 0
        Average total size (kbytes): 0
        Maximum resident set size (kbytes): 0
        Average resident set size (kbytes): 0

because would be exactly the sort of information I'm looking for.