Re: debconf

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 23:38 -0400, David R. Litwin wrote:
> I have set debconf to use gtk by accident: I want it to be displayed
> with KDE's Qt. When I try to do dpkg-reconfigure debconf, it either
> says I do not have permission, or it says: # dpkg-reconfigure debconf
> Xlib: connection to ": 0.0" refused by server
> Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
> dpkg-reconfigure: cannot connect to X server :0.0. How can I fix it so
> that A: It uses Qt. B: I can do this from a Console (and still have it
> displayed in Qt)?
>
> Thank you kindly in advance.

It looks like your X session isn't allowing root to open a window. This
can be solved easily by executing:

xhost +

before you SU into a root session. This command allows any user to open
up applications in your x session. On most desktop systems this isn't a
problem as you only have one user on the system at a time. There are
other options you can pass to xhost that will allow only specific users
access to the display, but I usually end up just allowing everybody.

--
 o)    Derek Wueppelmann               (o
(D .    monkey@monkey.homeip.net        D).