About chroot

Hi,

Several questions about chroot.

- I need to chroot into an alien system. I.e., I need to chroot into a 2.6
kernel from my 2.4 kernel. Is that ok?

- I heard all the fuzz about un/mounting the /proc, but I can't find any
documents on that. Can somebody explains me why it is so critical, or give
me a link to refer to please?

- I need to apt-get from the chrooted system. but on my 1st attempt, I
was not able to connect to outside, even ping. But all the documents I
read (I'm remastering a live CD) didn't mention anything about the
connection problem. Have I neglect something, or there is something to do
before I can connect?

thanks a lot!

tong