Re: Debian or Ubuntu Dilemma

On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 07:11:55AM -0700, Bernie Betlach wrote:
> I'm new to Linux but have a little programming experience.  Which should I
> install Ubuntu or Debian???

The main difference between the two is the installer, I
think. Any Linux distribution will give you the same
components: GNOME desktop (though Debian also gives you the
option of using KDE), OpenOffice, Gnumeric (spreadsheet),
AbiWord (my favorite graphical word processor), gaim
(instan-messaging client), Evolution (mail, calendar, etc.),
Firefox (web browser), Thunderbird (another mail client,
from the same people who brought you Firefox), etc.

Ubuntu offers shorter release cycles (it comes out every six
months) and an orientation toward consumers. It can be less
stable than Debian, because Debian waits until it's rock
solid before releasing a new version. Recent experience with
Sarge suggests that Debian may fall behind the curve, but
what you get is incredibly solid. That's because Debian has
been focused on servers, or at the very least has had split
loyalties -- it's not clear whether Debian is a server OS or
a desktop one. Ubuntu is more clearly focused on desktop
users, so it allows them a little more freedom.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve@laniels.org