Re: Crypto File System: Necessary patches

On Saturday 25 June 2005 20:53, nuno romano wrote:
> I got the following warning trying to create a
> crypto file system in hda10 partition of my
> hard disk:  I did ->
>
> modprobe cryptoloop
> modprobe aes
>
> losetup -e aes-256 /dev/loop0 /dev/hda10
> Password: xxxxxxxx
> ioctl: LOOP_SET_STATUS: Invalid argument
>
> I have a PowerPC kernel 2.6.8,util-linux 2.12,and
> according the cryptoloop-HOWTO these patches must
> be applied: losetup-combined.patch and
>             util-linux-2.12-kernel-2.6.patch
>
> The latest cryptoloop-HOWTO was published more
> than a year ago,and this is almost certainly
> a patch problem,so I suppose that these patches
> were not already applied.Where can I find a
> trusted (trusted signature) version of these
> patches?

Cryptoloop is depreciated (and, I believe, no longer developed). So, that
explains the year-old howto, and possibly why your current linux-utils won't
work with it (though that may not be the reason).

Unless you are dead set on using cryptoloop, use either:
dm-crypt (apt-gettable; avail with modconf post 2.6.8 ?; cryptsetup package
needed)
loop-aes (apt-gettable module and linux-utils)

From the crypto mailing lists, dm-crypt feels like it will be around for a
long time. But, loop-aes has been operational since the cryptoloop days, and
seems to have always provided migration paths (aespipe--something for which I
do not think dm-crypt or cryptoloop has an equivalent) in the event the major
revisions proved incompatible. (Or, dm-crypt feels like it will finally be
the in-kernel long-term solution, while loop-AES has and likely will always
be a viable, stable solution in lieu of revisions.)