Re: What is device 03:4c?

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:36:29PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 10:36:04PM -0400, Marty wrote:
> > Hendrik Boom wrote:
> >
> > >The original system can read and write the reiserfs, so I presume the
> > >copy would have the same drivers.
> > >
> > >Unless, of course, some boot process needs to read the root partition
> > >before it has discovered the reiser kernel modules.  Is that likely?
> > >Just when *does* the boot process load its modules from /boot?  Does
> > >it have to read from /etc first?  Could that be the problem?
> >
> > Not only /etc but /lib/modules too. Sounds like a chicken and egg problem.
> > You could try compiling in the reiser module(s).
> >
> > >I still have another empty partition available : /dev/hdb13,
> > >the same size as /dev/hdb12,  the root partition for
> > >the copy.  I suppose I could make /dev/hdb13 into an ext2
> > >file system,  copy /dev/hdb12 into it, and see if that boots.
> > >It would answer questions whether the use of reiserfs is the
> > >problem.
> >
> > Sounds like you're on the right track.
>
> Yes.  It is starting to make sense now.  And the sarge system I have
> on another machine, entirely in reiser, presumably has the reiser
> modules compiled into its kernel.
>
> So once I have upgraded my ext2 copy top sarge and then upgraded
> to a spamking new sarge kernel, I should be able to clone it
> onto a reiser file system and get it all to work.
>
> Thanks.  It's been good thinking with you.  I'll post again when
> I've managed to get things working -- or not.  Presumably in a day or two.

Did that.  I now have the copy of woody running in an ext2 partition.
It does seem that the boot kernel needs to load a module to access
the reiserfs, and it does it no good to have that module residing
in a reiserfs.

Next step?  Instead of compiling reiser into the kernel, I think
I'll upgrade to sarge, and then install a current 2.6 kernel -- I
believe those have reiser compiled in.

-- hendrik