Re: What is device 03:4c?

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 02:26:27PM -0400, Marty wrote:
> Hendrik Boom wrote:
> >Upon booting a reiserfs copy of my woody system, I am told,
> >
> >Can't find a Minix of Minix v2 filesystem on device 03:46
> >mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev2/root
> >    or too many mounted file systems
>
> Did you remember to make the partition bootable?  Is the partition
> type set to 83 (ext2)?

I have a working. bootable woody on my machine, and a copy which
is not bootable.  My intention is to upgrade the copy, while leaving
the original intact in case things go wrong.  (they have once already,
before this current attempt, so I am not being overcautious)

The one that fails has its /boot marked bootable.  The one that
succeeds does not.  All the relevant partitions have partition type 83.
Only the failing Linux has / as a reiserfs.

Because the boot fails, I can only access that Linux's partitions
from the copy that does boot, which refers to the failing / and /boot
partitions as /sargemaini (/dev/hdb11) and /sargeboot (/dev/hda2).
My intention is to upgrade that copy,
while keeping the woody I'm writing this message on intact until
the upgrade works successfully.

The actual MBR used for both the failing boot and the successful boot
are on /dev/fd0.  LILO was told boot=/dev/fd0. It's remarkably safe
to play with a floppy's MBRs, because you can have so many of them.

The successful boot has /boot on /dev/hda8, and it is not marked bootable
Its / is on /dev/hdb5.  Neither /dev/hda8 and /dev/hdb5 are not marked
bootable, but the boot works.

The only obvious difference are
	the partitions are in different places on the hard disk
	when /boot is marked bootable, it fails
	the failing boot is the only one with / being reiserfs.
	The others are ext2.

-- hendrik