Re: How to capture bootup messages?

Stephen R Laniel wrote:

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 09:20:07PM -0300, Paulo M C Aragão wrote:
This fantastic list help me on this one before.

Put this in /etc/default/bootlogd:

BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=yes

Next time you boot, every msg sent to /dev/console will end up in
/var/log/boot.

Cool! Two things.

1) When I enable it and try to run it (under Ubuntu), I get

* Starting Bootlog daemon...
bootlogd: cannot find console device 136:0 in /dev

Looks like this came up back in March on this list:

See also
I had this problem and it wasn't fixed by

CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS=y
CONFIG_LEGACY_PTY_COUNT=256

its related to bug #307977

I ended up creating a link from /etc/init.d/mountvirtfs to /etc/init.d/udev-bootlogdfix and then linking /etc/rcS.d/S04udev-bootlogdfix to /etc/init.d/udev-bootlogdfix. This script will run after udev and before bootlogd and will remount /dev/pts so bootlogd can run normally.

Has nobody else had this problem. I thought my bootlogd was working until I installed and new kernel and rebooted and want to check the boot messages and released my last boot message was on Apr 6th.