Re: Sarge Upgrade DEBOCLE ! ! !

Joey Hess wrote:
Brian Kimsey-Hickman wrote:

I have mistakenly trusted the Debian community and upgraded to Sarge
and it is a DISASTER.

HOW COULD YOU HAVE DONE THIS TO US ! ! !

(Reading database ... 70119 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing xserver-rage128 ...
sed: can't read /etc/X11/Xserver: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing xserver-rage128 (--remove):

How could we have not ever shipped a package named "xserver-rage128" but
yet somehow enticed you to install some broken third-party package by that
name onto your system, thus hosing your sarge upgrade? I really can't
say.

No chance this is a 3.3.6 module?

If this is a third party, how do you get through this?

My experience with aptitude and merillat's dvd libs is that things just don't upgrade for a spell and then they do. But everything has to be linked in the sources.list. I guess pulling in your own without a sources.list reference requires a bit more skill.

Would aptitude show you these third party packages?