Re: system monitoring software

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 11:12:15AM -0600, Cam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for some software that can do some basic system-monitoring
> tasks (check if services are up and running, hard-drive space, etc).
> I've been looking at some things like nagios, OpenNMS, and Cacti...
> they all look pretty good (i probably like the looks of nagios the
> best), but i'd like to get some input on what has worked for people in
> the past.

I use logcheck (performs hourly checks of logged system activity) and
smartmontools.  That covers everything pretty well.  The smartmontools
daemon can be configured to email you if soemthin gchanges or goes wrong
and logchekc emails you every hour if some suspicious log activity
occurs.  By default it will also report things like logins to the system
and changes in system temperature that set off the ALARM condition in
lm-sensors.  This is good if you only have one or two systems to
montior.  For more than that you will want something more advanced.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr