Re: famd won't let go of my samba shares! (myref: rl3a26may)

On (26/05/05 12:52), rich lott wrote:
> re: Sarge / Kde / konqueror / smbmounts
>
> Often when I mount a remote samba share and browse the share with konqueror, I
> can't unmount it after. mount complains that "device is busy".
>
> This happens when the mount point is not showing in konqueror, and no files
> are opened on the share by any other application.
>
> In fact, the only way I've found to unmount the files is to
>
> $ su root
> $ umount -l /mount/point
>
> When I used
> $ lsof | grep /mount/point
>
> I found that famd has the mount point open/engaged. Kill famd and I can
> unmount the share. But then famd is kinda useful.
>
> Anyone else had this problem?

Hi Rich

Yes, I've tried various ways of using samba on the client side: smb4k,
xffm etc. and experienced a variety of problems  I've found the best way
to ensure 'safe' reading and writing of files to samba shares is to
ensure that the cifs module is loaded - I use modconf, and setup the
mounts within /etc/fstab:

# smbclient configuration
//server/share /smb/share     cifs credentials=/home/user/.smb_pass,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770  0 0

you'll need to create the .smb_pass file as follows:
username=<username>
password=<password>

and $ chmod 600 .smb_pass

On the client you need smbclient and smbfs installed.  Instead of
creating the directory /smb as I did, you could use /mnt which I believe
is the prescribed approach in FHS (File Hierarchy System)

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...