Re: Custom kernel building and mkinitrd

--- Ibrahim Mubarak <ibmub80@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to make my custom-compiled 2.6.11 kernel (source package
> version 2.6.11-5) bootable. For lilo and since 2.6, i have both
> vmlinuz
> links and initrd images for my kernels. For some reason, this one is
> not going through. I usually end up building the initrd images myself
> (I bet something is missing in the post installation scripts) but
> when
> I do, it works just fine. This time I got a "find:
> /lib/modules/2.6.11.050523/kernel/drivers: No such file or directory"
> error. So, I went and created it manually. I know I shouldn't have,
> but
> I wanted to see what happens. And still, my initrd image won't show
> up.
> mkinitrd did not come back with an error this time, not even saying
> that it did not create it. Did an updatedb and then a locate and
> nothing comes up. Checked both / and /boot and still no image.
>
> I checked the bugs on initrd-tools, but nothing about this.
>
> Am I the only one with this problem?
>
> ib

OK. So I went ahead and downloaded the latest kernel off of kernel.org,
compiled it and installed it. Still mkinitrd doesn't output the image.
So I tried to mkinitrd of the running kernel. Still nothing. I am
guessing it is an initrd-tools bug. But not really sure.

I tried the -k option to see if it does anything. And yes. The tmp
directory gets filled. But I don't know what to do from there to start
debugging.

If you are not going to respond to this, can you at least tell me where
I should go with this problem? Thanks.

ib