Re: want to change /var/log partition to a directory in /var --help

> how can I change the "/var/log" from the "/var/log"partition to the
> "/var" partition under a directory "/var/log"

What you could do is create a symlink from /var/log to point to any
other place (for examlpe /var) by using the command
 ln -s /var /var/log. But I guess you would have to go to runlevel 1 or
something to do that; you will probably have to remove the folder named
/var/log and that is basically a thing I guess you don't want to do...

> Could someone please tell me what steps should I take so as not to
> miss the current logs too???

Another thing you could consider is installing logrotate, and let that
take care of your logs. Logrotate moves your logs away to a folder of
your decision as often as you want, so you could for example hav e
unique log of each day. Try installing logrotate and read the man for
it; that might be the easiest thing to do.