Re: sshd created user, or did i dream?

On Wednesday 27 April 2005 00:13, dexter2 wrote:
> I typed:
> $whoami
> john
> $cat /etc/passwd
> ..........listing of passwd file........
> So user john wass created with root rights.

On a normal system /etc/passwd is readable by anyone, which is why the
actual encrypted passwords are in /etc/shadow. If you do the same on
the local machine you would likely get the same result.
So most likely you were logged in as a normal user.

When not specifying a user name for ssh it defaults to the username of
the local user, and this also seems like what happened to you.

So I would say that there is nothing out of the ordinary in your case.

--
Esben Jensen