Re: SSH Blocking

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 09:42:58AM -0500, Nick Miller wrote:

>  machines by trying multiple SSH logins with all sorts of names. I am
>  wondering if there is an option in SSHD to block an IP after a
>  certain amount of failed login attempts as any user?

I don't think so, at least not directly, although you may want to check
the various PAM options. Your best bet is to block IPs performing
portscans. I highly recommend installing portsentry for this purpose.

You may be able to gain this functionality through the use of xinetd, if
you opt to spawn sshd out of xinetd instead of daemonizing it. I don't
know how effective that would be, and you might be opening yourself up
to a DoS risk if you make throttling too aggressive.

In a more practical vein, I'd be sure to disable root login via SSH.
Even better, disable password logins altogether and *require* public key
authentication to connect.

Basically, security is always a trade-off between usability and
protection. It's a continuum, and you can't have 100% of both.

--
Find my Techno-Geek Journal at http://www.codegnome.org/geeklog/