Re: login problems

On Tuesday 26 April 2005 02:20 am, Kent West wrote:
> Pollywog wrote:
> >If you want to be able to login as root in a KDE session, you can
> > configure KDM to allow it.
>
> But it's highly recommended that you do not log into X as root. In fact,
> you should avoid logging in as root except when you need root access.
> And even then, you can use "su -" to become root from within a normal
> user's session, or better yet, use sudo (although it requires a small
> bit of setup) to "become root" for just that specific command, when you
> need to do root-type things.

I only login as root when I need to install a game or application that
installs from a GUI and won't install in a console.  I can think of two
things I could not install by su'ing to root; UT2004 and Win4Lin.

I would not start a browser or IRC or some other network app as root though,
that would not be smart.

8)