Re: login problems

On Monday 25 April 2005 09:44 pm, kenny B wrote:
> Ummmm...im not sure where or when to press the ctl+alt+F1 i tried
> during the bootup process, but nothing happened....installing debian
> was a painful process...im wondering if i should just switch to
> xandros or something like that. got any suggestions?

Wait until the booting process completes, then do ctl+alt+fkey
If that does not get you to a console, then that is a problem which you might
also have with Xandros since most of the packages in Xandros 3 are the same
as used in Debian, except for the KDE in Xandros, which is different from
that in Debian.

If you want to be able to login as root in a KDE session, you can configure
KDM to allow it.

All you need to do is cd to /etc/kde3/kdm/ and then edit the kdmrc file
and change the line:
AllowRootLogin=false

AllowRootLogin=true

Then restart kdm.

If you are new to Linux, Xandros is a good Debian-based alternative but I
suggest you only upgrade your Xandros system with Xandros packages until you
know what you are doing.  Then you will know what packages you can install
from Debian package archives without breaking Xandros.  Xandros is almost all
Debian except for hardware detection and the modified KDE desktop.  You
should NOT install any non-Xandros KDE packages to a Xandros system but it is
generally safe to compile your own using the KDE libraries provided by
Xandros.

8)