Re: SSH Blocking

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 02:26:04PM -0700, Beretta wrote:
> If you want to elimintate the possibility that one of these scans and/or login
> attempts will eventually succeed (unlikely if you use good passwords), then
> disable root login to ssh and disable password based logins.

That would work great for me right now -- when I'm using my
laptop and I have my laptop's public key in
~/.ssh/authorized_keys on all the remote servers I care
about. But what do I do when I come to a new machine and
want to log into the server? I need to get the public key up
there somehow. So presumably I'd have to

1) scp the new machine's public key to a machine that's
already in authorized_keys;

2) ssh to the pre-authorized machine;

3) scp the new machine's public key to the server from the
pre-authorized machine;

4) ssh from the pre-authorized machine to the server;

5) copy the new machine's public key into authorized_keys;

6) log out of the server;

7) log out of the pre-authorized machine.

Is there a faster way to make this happen?

All of that depends upon always having some remote machine
available that's in the server's authorized_keys file. That
seems risky to me: I'm out on a job and I find that my
server at home needs me to sign into it, but I'm stuck
without a machine from which I can do so.

How do we get around that?

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve@laniels.org