Re: Help Please: Network Down

hi marc.

Also sprach mshapiro@sunlitsurf.com (Marc Shapiro) (Sun, 24 Apr 2005
12:42:21 -400):
> As of yesterday (April 24) my home network has stopped working.  It
> WAS working the day before.  I am running Sarge and I did do an
> upgrade.  I don't remember seeing anything that I would expect to
> affect the network, but I also don't remember just what it did say was
> being upgraded.
>
> I am no longer able to ssh between my two boxes.
>
> Although my gateway box will dial in to my ISP if I access it
> directly, it does not pass anything on to my desktop box.
>
> The gateway box is running Woody and has not been upgraded within the
> timeframe of this problem.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?
>
> Any ideas on how to fix this will be appreciated.  I am sending this
> from a Windows laptop and would like to get back to my desktop
> machine.

anyway, you mind breaking lines? thx.

> The error that I receive from ssh, /etc/hosts, and output from dmesg
> from my desktop box follow:
>
> mns@xander:~$ ssh mareschal
> ssh: connect to host mareschal port 22: No route to host
> mns@xander:~$

..means your box doesn't know the way to mareschal. try ip-addresses
too.

if it's ok with ip-addresses (instead of names): see /etc/nsswitch.conf
for "hosts: files dns" and /etc/resolv.conf for a valid nameserver.

> --------------
> [...]
> eth0: Realtek RTL8201 PHY transceiver found at address 1.
> eth0: Using transceiver found at address 1 as default
> eth0: SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet at 0xe400, IRQ 19, 00:11:5b:1b:8f:1f.
> [...]
> eth0: Media Link Off
> eth0: Media Link On 100mbps full-duplex

seems your link is ok.

check your routing:

root@box:~# route -n
root@box:~# ip route show

there should be a route (maybe default route) to your gateway.

> --
> Marc Shapiro

sl ritch.

> EXT2-fs warning (device hda10): ext2_fill_super: mounting ext3
> filesystem as ext2

[your dmesg] maybe you want to chk this too?