Re: 1920x1200 modeline for Dell 2405FPW

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 01:51:49PM +1000, Cameron Hutchison wrote:
> I'm trying to get my widescreen LCD monitor (a Dell 2405FPWs) working with
> a 1920x1200 resolution on the DVI port, but so far I've had no success.
>
> My first attempt was to try with my Radeon 9200SE card on the DVI
> port. I am using XFree86 4.3 (Debian sid). The highest resolution I
> could get displayed was 1280x1024. Any higher resolutions resulted in
> a blank screen - sometimes just blank, other times the backlight would
> go off too - and other times the monitor would display a message saying
> it could not show the mode.
>
> I have tried without specifying a modeline, relying on DDC to get the
> information it needs to talk to the monitor, and I tried specifying
> a modeline:
>
> Modeline "1920x1200" 154.0 1920 1968 2000 2080 1200 1203 1209 1235 +Hsync -Vsync
>
> That modeline seems to fall within the specs of the monitor (and is
> very close to what the DDC information is) - ie. dot clock is 154.0, v
> refresh is 60Hz, the h scan freq is at 74kHz (as it should be according
> to the monitor manual).
>
> I've also tried on the VGA port of a Matrox G400. This mostly works, but
> sometimes when switching consoles from text to X, the monitor
> incorrectly thinks the image is 1600x1200 and displays it squashed with
> black bars down each side.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas for something else to try? I've googled for
> an answer but none of the modelines I turned up has worked for me.

Hi, I had problems with mine initially on both DVI and VGA, I have a
geforce card and it wasn't untill I updated the nvidia driver I
finally got the right mode to work.

I know nothing about ATI cards/drivers but here is my XF86config-4

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        Boardname       "GeForce-6800"
        VideoRam        131072
        Option          "DPMS" "on"
        Option          "RenderAccel"   "on"
        Option          "AGPMode" "8"
        Option          "DigitalVibrance" "0"
        Option          "NoLogo" "1"
        Option "HorizSync"   "DFP-0:30-81"
        Option "VertRefresh" "DFP-0:56-76"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        VendorName      "DELL"
        ModelName       "2405FPW"
        HorizSync       30-81
        VertRefresh     56-76
        Option          "DPMS"
        Modeline        "DELL1920"  193.16  1920 2048 2256 2592  1200
	1201 1204 1242  -HSync +Vsync
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen1"