1920x1200 modeline for Dell 2405FPW

I'm trying to get my widescreen LCD monitor (a Dell 2405FPWs) working with
a 1920x1200 resolution on the DVI port, but so far I've had no success.

My first attempt was to try with my Radeon 9200SE card on the DVI
port. I am using XFree86 4.3 (Debian sid). The highest resolution I
could get displayed was 1280x1024. Any higher resolutions resulted in
a blank screen - sometimes just blank, other times the backlight would
go off too - and other times the monitor would display a message saying
it could not show the mode.

I have tried without specifying a modeline, relying on DDC to get the
information it needs to talk to the monitor, and I tried specifying
a modeline:

Modeline "1920x1200" 154.0 1920 1968 2000 2080 1200 1203 1209 1235 +Hsync -Vsync

That modeline seems to fall within the specs of the monitor (and is
very close to what the DDC information is) - ie. dot clock is 154.0, v
refresh is 60Hz, the h scan freq is at 74kHz (as it should be according
to the monitor manual).

I've also tried on the VGA port of a Matrox G400. This mostly works, but
sometimes when switching consoles from text to X, the monitor
incorrectly thinks the image is 1600x1200 and displays it squashed with
black bars down each side.

Does anyone have any ideas for something else to try? I've googled for
an answer but none of the modelines I turned up has worked for me.