Dmesg garbage after kernel recompile

Hi!

I have a fairly strange problem.

I recompile my kernel. The compile goes well, but after booting with the new kernel, all the kernel output (dmesg) displays garbage (like some pointers were wrong and the kernel tried to print some binary code).

First I met this problem some half year ago, but thought that it will heal himself (especially that those days it looked like some weird combination of kernel options lead to this behaviour - I was able to produce good kernels after a few reconfigure-recompiles). But nowadays I am a little more desperate because I arrived at the stage, that I'm unable to compile a single kernel with good dmesg even after several attempts. (This is really painful on a new server, where it would be great to see how/whether the drivers found their devices).

I'm trying to compile from the 2.4 series (actually 2.4.27, but I tried some older ones too), with gcc-3.4 (some older versions were tried too like 3.3, 2.95) on sarge (kept regularly up-to-date).

I'm having a lot of other machines, some running woody, some sarge, but this problem comes to life only under sarge, woody compiles just right.

I hope that somebody else has encountered this problem too, and can give me a helping hand.

Thanks in advance
Bye
Tylla.