Re: Supported hardware

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Monty Quick wrote:

> I am working with a company who want to use Debian for a new project
> roll out. We are a systems integrator who have been assigned to build a
> hardware platform.
>
> We are looking at using the following specification. We need to find out
> what is compatible to  use.
>
> Intel P4 2.8g Intel Chipset??
> Modem PCI European (Multitech)
> AGP 256MB graphics +
> Audio onboard
> LAN 10/100 onboard
>
> Is there a hardware list anywhere of approved products?

yes .... google has the complete list of approved products

no ..... you have to do it one item at a time ....  but that
  was expected, that you look up each item one at a time ??

since your specification is about as vague as it can be, alll
of the items you listed will "probably" work

what might not work ...
	- soft modems ( modems that doesnt have a uart chip )

	- whacky sound chipsets
	( sound blaster compatible doesn't mean it is )

	- whacky motherboard chipsets
	( new chipset with newer features or really old ones )

	- whacky svga chipsets
	( nvidia and ati chipsets are fun for old systems or too new )

	- ..

	"whacky" --> everybody has their favorite boards
	that didn't work in the system they were building
	or gave up debugging since it's cheaper to get a new
	working replacement board for $20 or $80 or ??
	than to spend 5min or 1hr of debugging time

	( all of the time is billable time to the clients )

c ya
alvin