Re: Supported hardware

Monty Quick wrote:

Hello,
I am working with a company who want to use Debian for a new project roll out. We are a systems integrator who have been assigned to build a hardware platform. We are looking at using the following specification. We need to find out what is compatible to use. Intel P4 2.8g Intel Chipset??

Yes it works on an Intel P4... and everything else you can imagine.

Modem PCI European (Multitech)

If it's a software modem, chances are slim but you might be able to jerry-rig it to work. If it's a hardward modem, I.E. does the work itself instead of the operating system, then it will work.

AGP 256MB graphics +

It's almost garunteed to work for workstation use, but with a card like that I assume you need some 3D acceleration. ATI and nVidia have drivers that allow for 3D acceleration in their cards, and I'm sure there are many others that are supported. The latest nVidia drivers aren't stable right now, but ATI does okay in most cases; I have two ATI Radeon 7200's here, and they do fine.

Audio onboard

Depends on what the audio system is, but I myself have never had a soundcard, onboard or not, that didn't work with little or no tinkering on Debian.

LAN 10/100 onboard

I have onboard LAN that didn't work on older distros, but somewhere along the line support popped up, first in Debian. Chances are it will work fine without having to jump through any hoops... but still, you never know.
Is there a hardware list anywhere of approved products?

I don't know of anyplace, though I'm sure there is. I'd say your best bet is, if you have the resources, take one of these comps and install Debian on it, and see if everything works. Sarge is more likely to have support for all your hardware, I would assume, than Woody, but if you really need super-stability + high security, you'll need Woody anyway. Sarge is secure and stable... but is not quite as bullet-proof as Woody. If this is only going to be used in a development environment or the like, or workstations that need to be up to date or support later hardware, Sid is the way to go.
   Cheerio,
      SigmaX