Re: Acrobat 7.0 for linux is out

Cameron Hutchison wrote:
Once upon a time Roberto C. Sanchez said...

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 05:37:56PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

The question is, how do I get /opt/bin into the default PATH?  It would
appear that as long as I run moz from an xterm (where the PATH is set
by /etc/profile), it works.  If I run it from the Menu, it doesn't work.
I am wondering if maybe X or gdm ignore the ENV_PATH specification.

The problem is that if I launch *Firefox* from the menu, then the
acroread *plugin* does not function.  The solution I need is to get
the system to understand that I *really* want /opt/bin in the default
search PATH.

It's somewhat complicated because [xgk]dm do not source your .profile,
so the environment will not be set up until you run a shell, and then
only for that shell and all child processes.

What I do is have my .profile set up the environment. Everything in here
must be bourne shell compatible. In my .bashrc I set up bash specific,
non-inheriting stuff (shell functions, aliases, bash options, etc) and
then from my .bash_profile, I souce .profile and .bashrc.

To hook into the xsession startup, I have created a file called
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/75local-profile that contains:

OK.  I modified my DefaultPath in gdm.conf to look like this:
DefaultPath=/usr/local/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games

Now the kicker.  When I try to view a PDF in FireFox it asks whether I
want to download or start it with xpdf.  When I view it in Mozilla
proper the plugin works great.

I am certain, though, that the problem is not Adobe because the same
exact thing happens with Word docs and PowerPoint files and the
OpenOffice plugin.  Firefox asks me to download and Mozilla uses the
plugin properly.  In both cases (Mozilla and Firefox) both plugins
show up as being present and enabled in the about:plugins listing.

Any ideas.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez