Re: Acrobat 7.0 for linux is out

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:33:10 -0500
"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> wrote:

> CaT wrote:
> > I'm trying acrobat's thing now. so far xpdf has the following over it:
> >
> > a. It's not 95MB in size
> Excellent point.
>
> > b. It doesn't take 5 seconds to start
> It starts in under 2 seconds on my machine.
>
> > c. it doesn't have the (IMO stupid) windows-in-windows model
> Granted.  I hadn't noticed that.  I rather liked that 5.0 opened each
> document in its own window.
> > d. It doesn't open the window in fullscreen mode. I have other things to
> >    do on my multitasking computer while I have a pdf open.
>  From the -help:

>          Size and/or location of the document windows.
>          Note: this option is position dependent, and can be
>          specified multiple times. The geometry specified only
>          affects the list of files following it.
>
> Just like any other X app.
>
> > e. No way that I (in my quick look of the obvious places in the
> >    preferences window) can find to turn off the fullscreen thing.
> >
> See above.
>
> > Now I run a 1600x1200 screen with 1024x768 viewable so you can imagine
> > how astoundingly annoying point d can be.
> >
> Except that it's trivial to fix.
>
> > In it's favour though, adobe's reader:
> >
> > a. is faster then xpdf
> Have to disagree with you there.  The new acroread is snappier than
> the old one, but unless you have huge (4000x4000 pixel scaled down
> so they fit on a printed page) graphics on the page xpdf wins out.
>
> > b. has continuous layout - my most-missed feature when using xpdf
> >
> I have to agree here.  I usually like the single page layout, but
> occasionally I have a use for the continuous view.

I usually have a use only for continuous view. On a laptop sized screen full
page view makes the text too small and using page width I have to scroll back
each time I change page. Continuous view is much more convenient for reading
long documents.

> > That's all I can say after a short bit of use of adobe's reader.
> >

> -Roberto
>
> --
> Roberto C. Sanchez
> http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr

 This Mail Was Scanned By Mail-seCure System
 at the Tel-Aviv University CC.