Re: Formatting second partition on USB flash disk

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 01:18:13PM +0300, Alphonse Ogulla wrote:
> Hi list,
> I created 2 partitions of 256mb each in a 512mb USB flash disk using
> cfdisk and formartted them as Win95 FAT32 (LBA) and Linux ext2 as
> shown below. Whereas I'm able to mount the first partition without any
> problem, mount command fails when trying to mount the second partition
> with the "wrong fs type..." error.
>
> atlas:~# cfdisk /dev/sda
>
> atlas:~# mkfs.vfat -v /dev/sda1
> mkfs.vfat 2.8 (28 Feb 2001)
> /dev/sda1 has 255 heads and 63 sectors per track,
> logical sector size is 512,
> using 0xf8 media descriptor, with 530082 sectors;
> file system has 2 16-bit FATs and 16 sectors per cluster.
> FAT size is 130 sectors, and provides 33111 clusters.
> Root directory contains 512 slots.
> Volume ID is 42316a7f, no volume label.
>
> atlas:~# mkfs.ext2 -v /dev/sda2
> mke2fs 1.34 (25-Jul-2003)
> Filesystem label=
> OS type: Linux
> Block size=1024 (log=0)
> 64512 inodes, 257040 blocks
> 12852 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
> First data block=1
> 32 block groups
> 8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
> 2016 inodes per group
> Superblock backups stored on blocks:
>              8193, 24577, 40961, 57345, 73729, 204801, 221185
Not directly related to your question, just a hint:
If this is not going to be a system partition, just data, I tend to use
the '-m 0' option to mkfs.ext2. As you can see, '12852 blocks (5.00%)
reserved for the super user'. That makes a gain of ~12.5Mb of extra
space. This reserved space is there in case the filesystem is full,
for root to be able to fix things. In fact, I do the same for my /home
partition, as 5% of 40Gb....2Gb!!

> Writing inode tables: done
> Writing superblocks and filesystems accounting information: done
>
> This filesystem will be automatically checked every 28 mounts or
> 180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
>

> atlas:~# mount -t vfat -o rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb1
>
> atlas:~# mount -t ext2 -o rw /dev/sda2 /mnt/usb2
> VFS: Can't find ext2 filesystem on dev sd(8,2).
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda2,
>            or too many mounted file systems
>
> Now the question;
> What do I need to do in order to use the second partition in my USB
> flash disk? Then you may ask - why do I need to do this? So that
> whenever I lend out my flash disk to colleagues using windoze, they
> wont get to see my stuff on the Linux ext2 partition.
>
> Thanks & regards.
>
> --
>
> Alphonse Ogulla
> Nairobi, Kenya

I remember having similar problems, though not how I exactly solved
them. First try ejecting the device and reconnecting. In this way, the
partition table gets re-read. If that doesn't help, a good guess is to
try and partition (and maybe even format) the device with parted (IIRC
it's not in woody though). Also what happens if you make _two_ FAT
partitions?

Hth,
--
Andreas Rippl -- GPG messages preferred