Formatting second partition on USB flash disk

Hi list,
I created 2 partitions of 256mb each in a 512mb USB flash disk using
cfdisk and formartted them as Win95 FAT32 (LBA) and Linux ext2 as
shown below. Whereas I'm able to mount the first partition without any
problem, mount command fails when trying to mount the second partition
with the "wrong fs type..." error.

atlas:~# cfdisk /dev/sda

atlas:~# mkfs.vfat -v /dev/sda1
mkfs.vfat 2.8 (28 Feb 2001)
/dev/sda1 has 255 heads and 63 sectors per track,
logical sector size is 512,
using 0xf8 media descriptor, with 530082 sectors;
file system has 2 16-bit FATs and 16 sectors per cluster.
FAT size is 130 sectors, and provides 33111 clusters.
Root directory contains 512 slots.
Volume ID is 42316a7f, no volume label.

atlas:~# mkfs.ext2 -v /dev/sda2
mke2fs 1.34 (25-Jul-2003)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=1024 (log=0)
64512 inodes, 257040 blocks
12852 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=1
32 block groups
8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
2016 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
             8193, 24577, 40961, 57345, 73729, 204801, 221185

Writing inode tables: done
Writing superblocks and filesystems accounting information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 28 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.

atlas:~# mount -t vfat -o rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb1

atlas:~# mount -t ext2 -o rw /dev/sda2 /mnt/usb2
VFS: Can't find ext2 filesystem on dev sd(8,2).
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda2,
           or too many mounted file systems

Now the question;
What do I need to do in order to use the second partition in my USB
flash disk? Then you may ask - why do I need to do this? So that
whenever I lend out my flash disk to colleagues using windoze, they
wont get to see my stuff on the Linux ext2 partition.

Thanks & regards.

--

Alphonse Ogulla
Nairobi, Kenya