Re: Finding the common textual denominator

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 02:16 +0100, Olle Eriksson wrote:
> Can anyone help me with how to find the common textual denominator of an
> array of strings. I have been searching the web and the man pages of
> grep, awk etc to no avail.
>
> Given the following list of directory names I want to have a script return
> "Eric_Clapton".
>
> Eric_Clapton-Big_Boss_Man-2CD-Retail-2002-DGN/
> Eric_Clapton-Higher_Ground-(CDS)-2003-RNS/
> Eric_Clapton_-_Me_and_Mr_Johnson-(PROPER)-CD-2004-TN/
> Eric_Clapton-One_More_Car_One_More_Rider-2CD-2002-RNS/
> Eric_Clapton - Pilgrim/

You want a generic algorithm?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

Anyone who thinks that religion is Sooo Eeevil should remember:
- The number of Soviet citizens that the "religion is the opiate
of the masses" Soviets killed or let starve is between 20M and
60M.
- The number of Chinese killed or allowed to starve by the
Chinese Communists is estimated to be as many as 66M.
Now *that* is True Evil.