Re: Another mouse problem in X...

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 10:08:06PM -0500, Peter Hayes wrote:
> I have a Debian installation off of a somewhat old net install CD,
> running the 2.4.27-2-K7 kernel and everything is just fine booting up
> into gnome desktop... it's all happy.
>
> I decided I wanted to upgrade the kernels and have tried several with
> similar results. The present 2.6.8-2-k7 is an example.
>
> The boot runs up fine until it attempts to start X. It then runs through
> the entries in the XFreeConfig-4 file (as far as I can tell anyway) and
> gets to the mouse device. This is a glidepoint-PS/2 which specifies
> '/dev/psaux' as the device.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no file '/dev/psaux'. If I change the entry to
> '/.dev/psaux', it works fine from the 2.6 boot but, if I understand what
> I'm doing (I'm fairly new to linux and know enough to be a little
> dangerous to myself, but found the file using 'find' and figured it
> couldn't hurt just to see if it worked), is going across the two kernels.
>
> I've tried copying the file to a another directory and placing it in the
> 2.6 /dev directory, but it still doesn't run and the X log indicates
> that /dev/psaux is missing (unless I link to the /.dev version).
>
> Any suggestions for a somewhat confused initiate?

The 2.6 kernel doesn't have /dev/psaux by default IIRC.  Try changing it
to /dev/input/mice.

I don't think using the entry in /.dev/ will cause any serious problems
(yet), but I doubt it's a good idea to keep using it - that's just me
being cautious though.

 -Ben

(Sorry, meant to send this to the list.)

--
Termisoc Secretary: http://www.termisoc.org/
Home Page: http://benalee.co.uk/