Re: Hello.

On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 13:05 +0100, Francesco wrote:
> David R. Litwin wrote:
> > I'm new to both this Forum, Linux and Debian. I discovered this via
> > Knoppix (based on Debian). After having liked Knoppix, I partitioned
> > my Hard-Drive and installed Debian. Four times. As you can see, I'm
> > having many problems with it.
>
> Welcome to Debian GNU/Linux!
>

> > Firstly, I should like to be able to connect to the Internet. I do so
> > via PPPoE (or is it simply PPP?) and have High Speed Internet. My I.
> > P. Address is non-static: It changes every time I connect to the
> > Internet.
>
> I haven't ADSL, so I use ppp for to connect me to the internet but if
> you have ADSL you must use pppoe and pppoeconf for to configure your
> internet connection!

It depends on how your ISP is configured.  Back when I had ADSL,
it was strictly plain old Ethernet.  Now, though, many ISPs use
pppoe for ADSL.  Some don't, though.

> > Secondly, how do I mount my Floppy Drive and Memory Stick? It wouldn't
> > work (even with the files on it RawWritten. Ratters! but it annoyed
> > me!).
>
> Read mount man:
>
> man mount

For a newbie, "man mount" can be really daunting.

Try this:
# mkdir /media/memstick
# mount -v -t vfat -o noatime,sync /dev/sda1 /media/memstick

If the mount command fails, change the sda to sdb.  If that fails,
change it to sdc and then sdd.

> > I'm sure that this isn't the proper place. Any way, any help would be
> > greatly appreciated. Thank you.

This is the debian-*user* list, and you want to *use* Debian,
right?  So, it's the correct list!

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by
stupidity."
Hanlon's Razor
"Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by
incompetence"
Napoleon