Re: [OT] How do I look inside a .deb [WAS]: Re: Kernel panic on boot with kernel 2.6.10 (SATA SiL 3112A issue maybe)

* Andrey Andreev <andreev@cs.helsinki.fi> [2005 Feb 28 17:50 -0600]:

> Hey, here is what is really interesting to me as someone new to Debian -
> you seem to say that installing the kernel might run mkinitrd to create
> the initrd for that kernel (which would be neat, and require me to tidy
> up my /etc/mkinitrd). Now, I don't know if it does, but I'd like to take
> a look into the postinstall scripts in the kernel-image deb and see for
> myself. How would I look into a package? (checking preinstall and
> postinstall scripts in this particular page, but generally I tend to
> like to look into everything after a while)

Install Midnight Commander and then highlight the .deb in question and
hit <Enter> or double-click with the mouse.  mc will open the .deb and
let you navigate the directory tree stored inside.  You can even
highlight the INSTALL file, hit <Enter> or double-click and the package
will be installed assuming all dependencies are installed.

Midnight Commander--the Swiss Army Chainsaw of Linux administration!

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"