Re: mozilla and mozilla-thunderbird wont start

Hi Michael,

> Several weeks ago I tried to upgrade GNOME to the latest
> version, 2.8.  Since then I have been unable to
> use most web browsers, and cant easily read my email
> there (except with pine).

Do you have problems with other graphical applications too, or just with
Mozilla-related programs?  For instance, what happens if you try to run
the GIMP? (type "gimp" at the command line or select Applications ->
Graphics -> GIMP Image Editor)

> - I installed mozilla-thunderbird (v. 1.0-3).  It also fails to
> start from the menu; from the command line,
>

> % mozilla-thunderbird
> selected locale: en-US
> Xlib: connection to "0:0" refused by server
> Xlib: XDM authorization key matches an existing client

This sounds like maybe your .Xauthority file is broken.  Try deleting it
and then restarting X, which will create a new one automatically.

> Removing galeon-common ...
> rm: cannot remove `/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/galeon': No such file or directory
> dpkg: error processing galeon-common (--purge):
> subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1

This looks like galeon-common has an error in its prerm script.
Specifically, it apparently tries to "rm" something without first making
sure it exists or using "rm -f".  Maybe you could file this as a bug
against the galeon-common package.

> euclid: ~ # apt-get remove --purge mozilla-firefox
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   gnome* gnome-desktop-environment* mozilla-firefox*
>   mozilla-firefox-gnome-support*

Don't be alarmed by this.  "gnome" and "gnome-desktop-environment" are
metapackages, meaning that they are mostly empty packages whose only
purpose is to depend upon a set of other packages so that it's easy to
install them all at once.  Run "dpkg -L gnome" to see for yourself.
Removing "gnome" and "gnome-desktop-environment" will not actually
affect any of your GNOME programs.

However, I'm not convinced that your original problem was a problem with
Mozilla-based browsers - see my above comments.

Good luck,

GPG public key ID: 4F83C751                 Princeton, NJ 08544