Re: Printer Setup Using CUPS-KDE

On (13/02/05 14:23), Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> I need help to determine why I can't set up an Epson Stylus CX6400 using
> either KDE Print Manager or the command line using lpadmin.  Here are my
> problems:
> When I call up the KDE Print manager, after trying to initialize, this
> message pops up:
>
>       Error-KDE Control Module
> Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:
> Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is
> correctly installed and running.
> Error: host not found.
> or this message appears depending on how I start Print Manager:
>
> Error - kprinter
>
> Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is
> correctly installed and running.  Error: connection refused.
Hi Leonard

It sounds as though cups may not be configured correctly of fully
installed.  Try 'dpkg-reconfigure cupsys' first off.  If you still can't
access localhost:631 (you either need to be in group lpadmin when asked
to login or else use root), have a look at the following documentation:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Debian-and-Windows-Shared-Printing/

Although it is geared to networked printers in is applicable to setting
up a local printer under debian.

Works for me ;)

Regards

Clive