Re: CD burner not working with kernel 2.6

Anthony Roberts(anthony-spamtrap@shaw.ca) is reported to have said:
> Wayne Topa wrote:
>
> >What is the burn command that didn't work, with its error message?
>
> ------
> $ cdrecord obsd36.iso

I would expect that to fail!  You never specified a device to write
to!  Did you read the manual page???  The man page for cdrecord is a
must read/understand.

This is what I use

cdrecord dev=ATA:x,x,x -sao blank=fast -v xx.iso

x,x,x determined by what the below commands return

> >What does cdrecord -scanbus return?

Again, RTFM.

Try

cdrecord dev=ATA -scanbus  (Best as it enables DMA an the burner)
or
cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus
or cdrecord dev=help whic you got as a message from cdrecord.

Reading your original post i have to assume (bad) that you are using
an IDE burner but I don't see where you said that.  I'm not
researching a LG GCE-8320B to find out.  You should give all 'related'
info when you have a problem you need help with.

> cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
Did you do what this messaged suggested?  What did it return?

____[ cut here ]____

> -------
>
> >When you moved from 2.4.x, which used IDESCSI, to 2.6.x did you remove
> >ide-scsi and replace it with recommended ide-cd instead?
> >
> Yes. I tried all the options I could think of reading the docs.

Odd that your ls does not show any hdc or cdrom.  Do you have udev
installed?  if so you should be looking for /.dev/hdc (I believe that
right but do not have udev installed here.

> ide-scsi=hdc
> ide-cd=hdc
> hdc=scsi
> hdc=cdrom
Now I am more comfused.  Where or what did you try these on, many
kernel compiles or one at a time in /etc/modules or ??

I suggest you start with the manual page, then you might go to the
archives for the past two months and read about all the
problems/solutions to the "my burner doesn't work" questions.

WT
--
Error reading FAT record: Try the SKINNY one? (Y/N)