Re: Configuring exim4 (for use with mutt)

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 19:44 +0000, Felixk Karpfen wrote:
> One of the few inputs requested by exim4-config is "hostname".
>
> The screen, that contains this request, explains that the "hostname" is
> the part of the email address that comes after the "@". As far as I can
> judge exim4 uses this input in conjunction with the user's login name to
> construct the "envelope_from" address.
>
> Unfortunately this does not work on my setup because my login name on my
> computer and my login name on my ISP's computer are different.
>
> When "mutt" is used in conjunction with "sendmail" this can be fixed
> with the "set envelope_from" command.  This does not work with exim4 -
> as shown by the following testrun:

dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

answer question in this order with these answers:

Split configuration into small files? yes or no (depends on your wants)

General type of mail configuration:
        mail sent by smarthost; received via SMTP or fetchmail

System mail name: carrot.cabbage.patch

IP-addresses to listen on for incoming SMTP connections: 127.0.0.1

Other destinations for which mail is accepted: (I leave it blank)

Machines to relay mail for: (I leave this blank too)

Machine handling outgoing mail for this host (smarthost):
        (your ISP's mailserver IP address)

Hide local mail name in outgoing mail? YES  <---First Important Setting

Visible domain name for local users:
	your ISPs domain (mine being gregfolkert.net)
	^^^Second Important Setting^^^

Keep number of DNS-queries minimal (Dial-on-Demand)?
	Typically no if broadband, yes if dial-up.

run: update-exim4.conf && /etc/init.d/exim4 restart

I believe the dpkg-reconfigure does this though.

And deliver messages from mutt, to your local machine on 127.0.0.1

All should be well and good.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is