Configuring exim4 (for use with mutt)

One of the few inputs requested by exim4-config is "hostname".

The screen, that contains this request, explains that the "hostname" is
the part of the email address that comes after the "@". As far as I can
judge exim4 uses this input in conjunction with the user's login name to
construct the "envelope_from" address.

Unfortunately this does not work on my setup because my login name on my
computer and my login name on my ISP's computer are different.

When "mutt" is used in conjunction with "sendmail" this can be fixed
with the "set envelope_from" command.  This does not work with exim4 -
as shown by the following testrun:

,----[ test6.txt ]-
| From MAILER-DAEMON Thu Jan 06 07:33:16 2005
| From: Mail Delivery System <Mailer-Daemon@carrot.cabbage.patch>
| To: felixk@carrot.cabbage.patch
| Subject: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
| Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 07:33:16 +1100
|
| This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
|
| A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
| recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
|
|felix@spodzone.org.uk
|  SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:<felixk@carrot.cabbage.patch>:
|  host mail.m.iinet.net.au [203.0.178.192]: 553 sorry, your envelope sender
|  domain must exist (#5.7.1)
|
| ------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

| Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 07:15:46 +1100
| From: Felix Karpfen <valid email address>
| To: felix@spodzone.org.uk
| Subject: test 6
| Sender: Michael <felixk@carrot.cabbage.patch>
|
| Text of sent message:
| ====================
|
| hostname set to carrot.cabbage.patch
| envelope_from set
|
| --
| Felix Karpfen
| Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)
`----

The problem can be corrected by supplying to exim4 not just my (ISP's)
hostname (as directed) but the full mailing address.  This creates
entries in "Return-path:"(envelope_from?) and in "Sender:" with a
hopelessly incorrect syntax (an address with 2 "@"), but the mail is
accepted by my ISP.

While it would not surprise me to be told that the problem is at my ISP,
he is geared to cater to Windows users and provides virtually no support
to Linux users.

As described above, I have found _a_ solution.  But I would be glad to
know if there is a more elegant solution.

Felix Karpfen
--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)