Re: trouble installing kde

> Try something other than KDE to get started.
>
> "apt-get install icewm"
> then create/edit ~/.xinitrc and put the single line "icewm" in and then
> "startx".
>
> If that doesn't work, the problem is with X, not KDE.
>
> If that does work, then try installing KDE; "apt-get install kde".
The problem is kde (-package), that seams to be a fact. My situation: I have
kdm as only display manager, it is started by the init scripts and it says
ok. But it does not start anything. When I call it once again, I get the
login manager, but can't login. When I call startx, kde starts like it
should. But if I close it and start it again, the system (kde and/or x)
hangs. I have to reboot to start X again.

Until now I tried the testing and the unstable tree. (I saw this behaviour of
kde now at least 3 times in the list, seams critical to me).