Re: trouble installing kde

> Select kdm (the above step should have asked, or you can run
> "dpkg-reconfigure kdm"; sometimes I've found that you have to select a
> different display manager, such as gdm, then rerun the command again and
> select kdm).
>
> Start kdm (either by rebooting, or by running "/etc/init.d/kdm start").
>
> If that does not work, we'll need more precise error messages about what
> went wrong when and where.

starting up, the last line is "kdm started" from the init scripts, but I am in
text mode login. I login as root and start the kdm-script again. Then I see
the login screen from kde, but when I login as user it takes a while and I am
at the start again, the login screen.
The other way, I login from console as std-user and call startx, kde starts
up.
Any logs needed?

I think my packages are quite fresh, but maybe something is really broken. But
I wonder how? In the thread Changing Display Mgr I was told to reinstall kde
completely... well, if nothing helps I will do so, but I pray that reinstall
will change something. First I beg for another solution, reinstall kde
probably takes a while... :-(